Thursday, May 8, 2008

May 8, 2008


Schmoozing the security guard. If they like you, you can see any part of the hospital you'd like.


The hospital feeds us lunch everyday.


This is where the families line up to get a prescription for their family members waiting in the hospital.


Working with the friendly doctor to make a diagnosis.


My secret... shhh!

Today was my last day at the Junta hospital. I spent the day in a woman’s sala. I followed a doctor (there are very few nurses here and the doctors do what the nurses do in the states). He expressed his love for the purpose of medicine—service. He reinforced the healing and importance of touch and love for humankind. Truly, I fell in love with the beautiful women here. They are so kind and gentle… born in a culture of submission and classes. It is both heartbreaking and inspiring to see them.

I am enjoying my time here. I often miss home, especially Matt and the food…but, the experience I have here are priceless.

Alright, I gave in… I ate at McDonald’s today. Yes, it was good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How fun!!! You are getting an experience of a lifetime. How wonderful! I hope you aren't too home sick. Enjoy yourself, enjoy every moment.
Be safe. Love you!
Janae